Ever feel like you’re stuck on meh mode?
In today’s blog we’re gonna go through some (fairly) fool-proof mood boosters so you can say sayonara to your shitty feelings.
THE REALITY CHECK
First off, let’s get real here. If you’re just trying to push past your emotions without confronting them, the rest of these tricks, tips and routines are just going to backfire on you.
Instead of sweeping those unsavory feelings under the proverbial carpet, the first thing you ought to do is face them head-on.
Now, I know what you might be thinking…facing my feelings is going to suck. You’re not wrong. It’s probably going to be hard. But you know what’s worse? Continuing to live with an undercurrent of bad vibes that just fuck up the quality of your life.
Sorry, it needed to be said.
Anyway, the FIRST thing to do when you’re looking to boost your mood is practice Emotional Acceptance.
So, go grab a notebook (or, if you're a member, print off this fun worksheet) and start practicing…
- The first step to Emotional Acceptance is embracing how you’re feeling without judgement. You are a human being that’s allowed and SUPPOSED to have feelings…and that includes ALL the feelings. So, get really clear about how you’re feeling (use this chart if you need).
You’re going to practice creating space for a new mindset by writing down this statement: It’s okay that I’m feeling [enter your emotion(s) here].
- Emotions are AWESOME because they help us figure out what needs tweaking in our lives. If you pay enough attention to your feelings, they’ll actually cue you in on what your triggers are. And when you know what your triggers are, you can manage them better.
So, the next step is to flex your self-awareness by jotting down some reasons why you might be feeling the way you are. Making these connections will actually loosen the grip those pesky triggers have on you.
- Now it’s time to find direction!
How would you rather be feeling?
What actions could you take that might manifest these dream feelings?
What needs to happen differently?
Write that shit down!
And speaking of action… What’s the real difference between staying where you are and moving forward…?
You can’t just wish away your muddy times, you gotta work for it.
- And finally, if you’re still feeling stuck after going through these steps, maybe you just need a little support? Support comes in so many forms like making healthy, supportive connections, inspirational blogs, and practical self-care tricks. Which is exactly why I’ve added some handy resources below!
DISCLAIMER: Because this blog has the potential to be infinitely long, I’m gonna scale it WAY down.
I love you too much to overwhelm you.
So, if you’ve been reading my blogs, you know that there are basically 6 elements that create a whole self; the mental, practical, social, emotional, spiritual, and physical. We’re gonna dive into the physical because it’s a pretty straight shooter.
PHYSICAL SELF + HEALTH
Your physical self includes all the parts of your meat suit (including your brain), and there are some pretty easy hacks if you’re looking to turn up your jollies. So we’re going to talk about 3 ways to love up on your PHYSICAL self so you feel better emotionally.
#1 Feed It
There are specific foods that give your brain the happy feels. And spoiler alert, it’s not Doritos.
Sure, super delicious processed, salty, sugary, greasy snacks will give you a temporary surge of the feel-good-hormones, but only because they’re tasty and your brain associates that with a good time. Their truth is a bit more grim, however. Shitty snacks are hard for your body to digest, fuck with your brain chemistry, give you zero nutrition, and make you feel worse in the long run.
Such a shame.
If you’re looking for true mood boosters try eating:
- Fatty Fish
- Dark Chocolate
- Fermented Foods (kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut)
- Nuts + Seeds
- Beans + Lentils
- Lean Meats
- Dark Leafy Greens
- Citrus Fruits
But don’t take my word for it! Learn the science and other important facts at Healthline and USA Today.
#2 Move It
Magic happens when you move your body. Not only does it help ward off diseases like high blood pressure and diabetes, and prolong the functionality of your body, but it also releases your happy hormones. Practicing movement daily can change your world.
Here are some ways you can move your meat suit:
- Tai Chi
- Jump Rope
- Taking the stairs
- Play with your kids
- Walking your dog
- Yard work
- Cleaning your home
- Rearranging furniture
And to get you EXTRA inspired (and show you just how easy it is), I’m gonna share what Wendy Suzuki has to say about it! …seriously, go watch this…
#3 Rest It
Sleep is REALLY beneficial to your overall wellness, not just your mood. But sadly sleep isn’t the easiest thing for some folks.
If you're one of the 50+ million Americans that suffer from some sort of sleep funk, you might want to try some of these pre-game bed time activities (you know what, do them even if you're really good at sleeping, they'll still help your mood):
- Control your circadian rhythm by bumping up the bright light intake during the day, and keeping it dim in the PM.
- Limit screen time (or at least wear blue light blocking glasses, or download blue light blocking apps).
- Turn off all your screens at least 2 hours before heading to Z-Town.
- Cut out caffeine at least 6 hours before bedtime.
- Cut back on the naps.
- Keep to a sleep schedule.
- Try melatonin.
- Say bye-bye to to booze.
- Keep the room cool.
- No munching within 4 hours of dream time departures.
- Make sure you’re comfy.
- Get some exercise earlier in the day.
- Try bolstered, relaxed, yoga inversions.
- Relax your brain by journaling, reading a boring book, listening to soothing music, or guided meditations.
Woof! And there you go; a great long list of mood boosters to experiment with! ...and this is just the tip of the iceberg.
If you've tried any of these self-care tips or have some of your own, I'd love to know! (comment below)
And if you want a steady drip self-care goodness, sign up for my weekly Newsletter! …and snag a FREE Mindset Makeover Kit.
I love you.
I appreciate you.
Thank you so much for being here.
I’ll see you soon.
Learn more about Crystal McLain
Learn more about Memberships
Explore Self-Care Goodies
If you appreciate the content at CMC and would like to express your gratitude and support my work, you can drop a little coin in my piggy bank!